This page describes my phone consultation services for those who wish to enlist my expertise to solve problems, overcome challenges, or navigate transitions. I want to thank Steve Pavlina for providing a very professional outline which I used to create this page.
Here are the primary areas where I can offer one-on-one consultations. For each area I include an example from my own life.
- Achieving Challenging Goals. Setting and achieving challenging goals. Overcoming obstacles. Example: Playing football as an amputee. Becoming the first licensed amputee motorcyclist in Pennsylvania. Rebuilding from personal and financial ruin after leaving jail with $40 to my name.
- Career Transitions. Switching careers. Generating abundant income from work you enjoy. Example: I have actually switched careers several times in my life. I made my living as a professional musician, then transitioned into a career in sales and marketing, then into a 6 figure income being a DJ and then into being a keynote speaker, seminar leader, coach and consultant. Each transition was a part of my own growth into more abundance and more enjoyment of aligning with my core talents and purpose.
- Habit Change. Overcoming addictions. Conditioning positive habits. Example: In 1989 I overcame a devastating addiction to alcohol and drugs. In 1990 I stopped a two pack a day smoking habit. I have maintained a drug, alcohol and smoke free lifestyle since making that decision to change. I continue to identify and alleviate unhealthy habits as well as test and implement new habits.
- Productivity. Managing your time and creating results. Example: One of the most consistent patterns in my life has been that I am constantly involved in multiple projects and businesses at one time. I have been involved in as many as 6 businesses and business partnerships at one time and have always been acknowledged for my ability to deliver “results”.
- Breaking Through Fear. Facing fears that hold you back. Building courage through progressive training. Overcoming social phobias. Example: I lived my life in fear during my drinking and drugging. One of the greatest fears I had to face was cleaning up my past, making reparations for the damage I had done and being honest about the lies I had been living. Facing some of those fears carried the potential of huge consequences. Even returning to jail. But I faced them and moved into a new way of life.
- Capitalizing on Creativity. Artists, performers and others who have a talent you want to explore but struggle with. Creative minds with ideas for products or services that you think would allow you to create a new business for yourself. Example: I recorded and released a CD of my own songs in 2000 that had a song actually reach #24 on the charts overseas. I have also been involved in the creation of 3 software projects from inception to completion as the creator of the idea, while leveraging the development to others
Here are some examples of the types of people that would be a good fit for consulting with me:
- goal-oriented, achievement-minded people
- people who feel a strong desire to improve their results
- people facing significant life transitions
- career professionals and executives
- entrepreneurs and business owners
- professional communicators (writers, speakers, bloggers, etc)
Here are some situations where I do NOT provide consulting services:
- Serious health issues or weight loss. Since I have had serious health issues and success with losing weight I can help you with some of the behavioral aspects of health improvement, BUT I'm not a doctor, nutritionist, or trained health practitioner. If you're dealing with a serious health issue or major weight loss challenge, please consult with an appropriate expert.
- Depression, suicidal thoughts, or pervasive negative emotions. If your main issue involves serious negative emotions like deep depression, anger, or hopelessness, I can empathize with what you're going through, but I'm not the right person to help you one-on-one. Please seek the assistance of a counselor or therapist with suitable training and expertise.
- Passive or apathetic people. If you feel lazy and unmotivated and you're looking for a rah-rah coach, that isn't me. I prefer to work with generally proactive, intelligent, responsible people who want help solving problems and overcoming challenges. To help someone who's lazy or apathetic, I normally have to get them to a place of anger first (so they can transition to more empowering states), and that isn't the type of consulting I wish to do.
- People looking for shallow quick fixes. I help people solve problems holistically. I'm not into unsustainable quick fixes, get rich quick schemes, etc. For example, if it's obvious that you dislike your current career path, I can't coach you to improve your productivity at work. I can, however, coach you to navigate a positive career transition, and then we can deal with boosting your productivity on the other side.
- People who aren't ready to change. My commitment is to get to the heart of the matter quickly and help you improve your results, and that requires a reasonable commitment from you as well. If you aren't ready to change, or if there's some problem you're unwilling to face, then please don't book a consultation with me yet. Similarly, don't book a consultation for someone else as a way of forcing them to deal with their issues.
- People seeking free or discounted consultations. Due to the time and energy requirements of one-on-one work, it isn't practical for me to offer free or discounted consultations. For no-cost help and advice, I provide an abundance of free resources elsewhere on my website, such as more than 50 videos and hundreds of articles you'll find in my archives.
What to Expect When You Book a Consultation
After booking your consultation with me, you'll receive an email to request some basic info about your situation and a short questionnaire that will help give me a better sense of who you are and what will best serve you. Once I receive your reply, we'll schedule the call at a time that works for both of us.
Here's a general outline of what our consultation call may look like. This is a flexible structure that helps us stay focused, so you can get a lot of clarity and value in a reasonable period of time. We're looking to solve problems intelligently here, not get into long-term therapy. Every situation is unique, however, so it's important to adapt this process to the circumstances at hand.
Preparation. Before our call, I'll do a short meditation to clear my head of any distracting thoughts, so I can create the space for being totally present with you. I'll also review any materials you may have provided (such as a website, resume, the questionnaire you filled out, etc). Then I'll call you at our appointed time.
Understanding your situation. During the consultation call, we'll start with a quick introduction. I'll invite you to explain your current situation, challenge, or problem. I may also ask you some clarification questions to make sure I understand your situation.
Your desired outcome. Next, we'll discuss what you'd like to experience in this area. We'll clarify the differences between where you are now and what you desire. If you don't have much clarity regarding your desired outcome yet, that's okay. Feeling fuzzy or unclear is actually quite normal, and sometimes an exploratory approach is necessary to gain clarity.
Plotting the course. Once we can agree upon the contrast between your current situation and your desires, we'll tackle the question, "How do you shift from your current situation to your desired outcome?" This part can become fairly deep and personal, depending on the nature of your challenges. We'll identify blocks and obstacles that keep you stuck, we'll assess your personal strengths (what's easy and what's difficult for you), and we'll define action steps you can take.
Transitioning. Once we can agree on the overall solution, we'll outline a practical transition plan that fits your situation and your personal strengths. If your challenge involves a stretch goal that's currently out of reach, then our action plan will include how to train yourself to reach that level.
Review. Lastly, we'll review the solution and make any necessary tweaks or refinements. Time permitting, I may also offer you some additional implementation tips and advice to help you get started.
After the call. It's wise to set aside some time after our call (perhaps an hour or two) to begin implementing solutions that we discuss during the call. These types of calls can be very energizing, so if you're feeling motivated afterwards, please take advantage of that by jumping into action as soon as you can. This will help you to build some momentum.
Another possibility is that you may want to reflect on new ideas and options after our call. You may wish to journal about it. Or you could create a more detailed to-do list based on the action items we discussed.
The rate for a 60-minute phone consultation is $497.
If you wish to book multiple appointments, the same hourly rate applies.
My consulting rate is based on demand and supply. I allocate a certain number of hours to consultations and set the rate accordingly, such that interested clients can get timely appointments.
Additional DetailsAppointment times.
I typically provide phone consultations on weekdays (Mon-Fri) during normal business hours (9am-5pm Eastern Standard time). If those times don't work for you, please let me know, and we'll work something out. I schedule appointments on a first-come, first-served basis, so the wait time depends partly on how many people are booked ahead of you and partly on my travel schedule.
International clients. International clients are welcome, as long as you can communicate in English clearly enough for us to understand each other.
Individuals and businesses. I'm happy to consult with individuals as well as businesses.
Recording calls. If you wish to record our call (for personal use only), feel free to do so.
Rescheduling. If you need to reschedule your appointment after we've set a time for it, please give me at least 24 hours advance notice by email. If you need to reschedule due to an unexpected emergency, then please give me as much notice as you can.
Refunds. Due to the time and energy investment required, there are no refunds for consultations once they're booked. Rescheduling an appointment is okay though. Transferring your consultation to someone else is okay too.
Confidentiality. I'll keep the details of our consultation private by default. I may share general lessons learned from consultations in my blog, workshops, books, and other media to benefit others, but I won't share personally identifiable info.
Multiple topics. During our call we can address as many problems, challenges, questions, or issues as you like, as long as time permits. How long it takes to achieve resolution of each issue depends on many factors, such as the complexity of the issue.
Ongoing Coaching. If you're interested in ongoing coaching, it's best to book a single consultation first. Afterwards if you're still interested in more in-depth coaching, let me know, and we can discuss a coaching plan to fit your goals.