Contribution To Yourself
< Get Strong! Ringing In The New Year >
Week 5: Contribution To Yourself
Loren Schandler Slocum is a distinguished international personal development seminar leader, speaker, coach, author, wife and mother.
52 WEEK CHALLENGE -- Week 5: Contribute to YOURSELF
“To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right.” - Confucius
Welcome to Week 5 of the 52-Week Challenge. This week, our focus is on Contribution, as we celebrate the holiday season. It is a time when many of us think about how we can contribute to others less fortunate than ourselves. But as Confucius says in the quote above, we must start with a contribution to ourselves. Next would be family and friends. And lastly, to the community, whether it be local or global.
So let’s begin this Tuneup with a reminder from Life Tuneups, of “The magic of contribution and giving back to your world. Once you’ve made a difference in yourself, you are now empowered to share your gifts and help those around you – your family, friends, and community.” A good metaphor to illustrate this is the safety instructions before every flight. If you are traveling with a child or someone who requires assistance, secure your mask first, and then assist the other person. It’s the same in life. If you don’t start by contributing to yourself, you will not be in a position to help others. Although many of us have been raised to think of others first, this noble gesture isn’t possible unless you have the personal resources to do so, including physical, financial, and emotional… all the areas in which others may need support.
There are several ways you can contribute or help yourself:
1. Be sure you are healthy in order to have the energy and vitality to help others. Focus on nutrition, daily workouts, and rest to re-energize.
2. Nurture yourself in different ways so that you remain centered, grounded and balanced. Take time for baths, read a book or a magazine, enjoy a massage, watch a movie, take a nature walk, or visit with close friends.
3. Surround yourself with people or your team, people who will support you and hold you accountable.
4. Be sure your livelihood affords you the resources to be able to enjoy your lifestyle, whether it is buying a new outfit, taking a vacation, or enjoying a meal at your favorite restaurant.
5. Enjoy the unconditional love and utter joy that your pet exudes when you return home. Smile when their tail wags so fast, or they meow lovingly in your ear.
6. Get lots of hugs… daily.
7. Get lots of smiles by smiling first.
8. Write in your journal. Be sure to note all the miracles, even the smallest ones which happened that day.
9. Be sure that you are pursuing YOUR dreams… making your mark in this world and sharing your gifts. Often times we are so busy helping other people and their mission(s), we lose sight of what is important to ourselves.
Create your own list of guilt-free ways with which you can contribute and honor yourself. Do things that you love and are passionate about. Then you will be empowered to help those around you.
This article is written by Loren Slocum, connect with her via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get the latest Hot Tuneup Topics at Lobella International
Join the discussion about this article on Contribution in our Forums
52 Week Tuneup ChallengeIntroducing Loren SlocumWeek 1: Clearing Out the ClutterWeek 1 Bonus #1: De-Clutter The RefrigeratorWeek 1 Bonus #2: Bring Closure To Past EventsWeek 1 Bonus #3: Clean Out Your ClosetsWeek 2: Clean Up And Clean Out Your WalletWeek 2 Bonus #1: Credit Card DietWeek 2 Bonus #2: Clean Out Check InWeek 3: Favorite ThingsWeek 3 Bonus #1: Favorite Things to Be Thankful ForWeek 3 Bonus #2: Favorite Things of The Favorite People In Your LifeWeek 3 Bonus #3: Favorite Things Check InWeek 4: Change Your Body, Change Your Life!Week 4 Bonus #1: Change Your Body, Change Your Life: Cellular HealthWeek 4 Bonus #2: Change Your Body, Change Your Life: Time to Get Fit!Week 4 Bonus #3: Change Your Body, Change Your Life: Time to Get Strong!
Week 5: Contribute To YourselfWeek 6: Ringing In The New YearWeek 6 Bonus #1: Planning For The New Year
For more on personal development and self-awareness visit the Article Archive
Enjoy our series of free videos Self-Awareness 101
Explore the deeper meanings of our Inspirational QuotesJump Home from Contribution To Yourself
Get access to a 30 MINUTE EXCLUSIVE FREE VIDEO "The 7 Keys For Success and Fulfillment" by signing up for our FREE Your Daily Life Coach Newsletter
Sign up for the FREE YDLC newsletter to receive updates about videos and articles designed to assist you on your journey of personal development through self-awareness. When you have confirmed that you want to receive the YDLC newsletter you will be given a link to an Exclusive 30 minute Video that we created just for our subscribers called The 7 Keys for Success and Fulfillment.
Newsletters are sent about once a month, just enough to keep you in the loop but not enough to overwhelm you.
If you enjoy the free information available on this site, you're sure to appreciate the free newsletter as well. Sign up right here: